Emailing via SSL server

Discussion of application development using iX Developer, including but not limited to getting started, using the functions tab, properties, objects and installation.
Sarah

Emailing via SSL server

Post by Sarah »

Hi,

Is it possible for the alarm distributor to email using a SSL server? If so, how may I go about doing this?

mark.monroe

Re: Emailing via SSL server

Post by mark.monroe »

That is described in the iX help system. Press F1 and it will bring up the iX Developer help menu. Search the help for Alarm Distribution.
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

Beijer Electronics, Inc. | Applications Engineer

Patrick Hall

Post by Patrick Hall »

I sent an email several months ago (7/18/2012) to Ron Lloyd asking if it would ever be possible to use SSL or TLS on the mail server setup for the Alarm Distributor. At that time it was not supported but Ron mentioned he would add the request. I have not checked the current SP1 version of iX 2.0 to see if it has been added.

I was attempting to utilize a free webmail service (Gmail) and SMTP, and a heavily customized sendmail script to package several attachments. Without SSL (or TLS) simple Authentication will not suffice.

Ultimately since I was only testing functionality for a customer I managed to simulate what I needed by setting up a virtual machine on my engineering network running a free program called hMailServer. This allowed me to "dumb" down the security and test sending Alarm distributor emails. I could then setup any standard Email client to connect to my Virtual Mail server and pull back the test emails.

Disclaimer - I have no vested interest in hMailServer other than it was some tool I stumbled upon and it worked well for testing; Nothing more, nothing less.

Best Regards
Best Regards,
Patrick Hall

mark.monroe

Post by mark.monroe »

The latest version of iX Developer 2.0.463 still does not allow you to use ssl or other login methods that Gmail supports. Simple Authentication and no authentication are still the only supported login methods..
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

Beijer Electronics, Inc. | Applications Engineer