Printing DataGrid data to USB printer connected iXT10A

Discussion of application development using iX Developer, including but not limited to getting started, using the functions tab, properties, objects and installation.
Skylar

Re: Printing DataGrid data to USB printer connected iXT10A

Post by Skylar »

Make sure when you are testing the printer from your PC that you set the PC to use PCL drivers, not the USB drivers for the printer. I would bet you have to set your printer to use PCL somewhere in the settings. Please consult your printer manual.
Best Regards,

Beijer Electronics, Inc.
Skylar Walker | Applications Engineer

mark.monroe

Post by mark.monroe »

Make sure that you have checked the box that says distribute alarms. Otherwise the alarms will not be set to the Alarm Distribution Server and will not get routed to the printer. You can add an email target to your Parallel Receivers to see if you can email an alarm to someone. That way you'll know whether or not the issue is with the printer or with the way you have the alarms configured.
Alarm Items.png
Alarm Items.png (99.39 KiB) Viewed 17750 times
Alarm Groups.png
Alarm Groups.png (89.11 KiB) Viewed 17750 times
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

Beijer Electronics, Inc. | Applications Engineer

wlederer

Post by wlederer »

Skylar wrote:Make sure when you are testing the printer from your PC that you set the PC to use PCL drivers, not the USB drivers for the printer. I would bet you have to set your printer to use PCL somewhere in the settings. Please consult your printer manual.
Thank You Skylar. This is interesting. How a printer should be connected to T7A panel? Direct to the USB port of the panel or to computer which is connected to the panel?
I called to HP support and got answer, that both languages PCL5 and PCL6 are supported and no need for an extra activation, and that the Windows Mobile OS is not supported.

wlederer

Post by wlederer »

mark.monroe wrote:Make sure that you have checked the box that says distribute alarms. Otherwise the alarms will not be set to the Alarm Distribution Server and will not get routed to the printer. You can add an email target to your Parallel Receivers to see if you can email an alarm to someone. That way you'll know whether or not the issue is with the printer or with the way you have the alarms configured.
The attachment Alarm Items.png is no longer available
The attachment Alarm Groups.png is no longer available
Thank You Mark. Unfortunately, the column "Enable Distribution" is not in the "Alarm Server" window in my laptop. How can I find it and make visible?

Tried to install the recently delivered iX Developer 1.31 on my laptop with Windows XP Professional (SP3) but without success. The error message was after try to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
The logfile is included. Archived with 7-Zip. Sorry, tried with different extensions *.log, *.txt, *.doc, but was not allowed to upload. Can somebody advice, what is wrong?
Attachments
install.7z
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 543 times

mark.monroe

Post by mark.monroe »

According to the log file it looks like you do not have admin rights on your computer and it could not install the following:
Status of package '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' after install is 'InstallFailed'
Status of package 'SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2' after install is 'InstallNeeded'
Status of package '.NET Compact Framework 3.5' after install is 'InstallNeeded'
Make sure you have admin rights, then try and do the install again. You can also download the above software from Microsoft's website and install them, then run the iX install again.
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

mark.monroe

Post by mark.monroe »

Hi wlederer,

To get the Distribute option you need to enable alarm distribution. You can do that in the 'Settings...' dialog box on the 'Alarm Server/Alarm Items' tab. Check the box that says, 'Enable Sending To Alarm Distribution Server' and have it send the alarms to the 'Internal' server.
Enable dist.png
Enable dist.png (185.72 KiB) Viewed 17745 times
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

wlederer

Post by wlederer »

Thank You Mark for the good advice. This is the question not about printer, but about alarm distribution. After activating Remote_stop no email is received as well.
Though, it is still not clear how to connect a printer (USB, Network or serial)to the panel.
I will start another topic.
regards, Waldemar

mark.monroe

Post by mark.monroe »

Hi Waldemar,

You can set the type of printer connection you want to use. In the Alarm Distributor select the 'Printer' Parallel Receiver. Then select 'Configure Distribution Devices'.

A dialog box comes up and if you go to the 'Printer Device' section you can change how you connect to the printer via the 'Printer Connector' drop down. You also need to set the printer type to 'PCLLASERJET' if you are using a laser printer.

More information can be found on page 236 of the iX Developer Reference Manual.

printer connector.png
printer connector.png (150.44 KiB) Viewed 17734 times
type.png
type.png (154.64 KiB) Viewed 17734 times
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

wlederer

Post by wlederer »

Thank You Mark.
Before configuring the printer must be connected to the panel. How?
If it is an USB printer, should we use a common USB cable and make direct connection to an USB port of T7A, or connect the printer to a PC at first and then addressing the printer through the host computer? How to test if the printer is correct configured?
If it is a network printer, what information in the "Network settings" is expexted? What means "Printer name/path"? Should I put the IP address of the printer, name of the printer from my computer or something else?
What is "User name" and "Password"?
Is it the network name of my computer with my own password, or something special?
regards, Waldemar

mark.monroe

Post by mark.monroe »

Hi Waldemar,

If you use a USB cable just connect the cable from the printer directly to the Panel. Any normal USB cable will work.

If you want to connect via Ethernet you can put the IP address of the printer into the Path field. Some printers require a password before you can use them. That is what the username and password field are for. If you look at your printer documentation it should tell you how to connect to it.
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe