update text box before showing pop up screen

Discussion of application development using iX Developer, including but not limited to getting started, using the functions tab, properties, objects and installation.
mmarchese

update text box before showing pop up screen

Post by mmarchese »

I have a pop up screen with a text box on it. The text box has a bunch of different messages that are controlled with a tag. My PLC sets that tag to pick a certain message, and then it changes the New Screen variable to show the pop up.

The one annoying thing about it is that the pop up always shows the last message for half a second or so before switching to the correct message. I even tried having my PLC update the message tag, wait a few seconds, and then trigger the pop up, but the problem remains.

So it boils down to this - is there any way to update a screen before showing it so that it's correct when the user first sees it?

Ron L.

Re: update text box before showing pop up screen

Post by Ron L. »

I don't know of a way to do change that. What I would try is that when the Popup Screen is closed, to change the tag so that the text is blank in the "Screen Closing" action.
Best Regards,

Beijer Electronics, Inc.
Ron Lloyd | Applications Engineer

Edmund

Post by Edmund »

You could try setting the tag to always active.

This will make iX always read the tag from the plc and not only when it´s in use.

Go to the taglist and locate the tag and set the "Always Active" property (this property is only visible when you select "Others" in the Columns Visible groupbox).

If you only use the tag in the popup (not in the parent window where from you open the popup from) you will start read the tag when the popup opens.

This will cause a delay before you will see the current message.

Try it out and see if it gets better.

Regards
Edmund Andersson

AITECH AB

Part of Beijer Integrator Group

mmarchese

Post by mmarchese »

I did not get the chance to try Ron's solution, but setting the tag to "always active" worked. Thanks, Edmund!

Ron L.

Post by Ron L. »

I like Edmunds suggestion better, it's less work. If you want to limit polling tags, then what I suggested may be the way to go.
Best Regards,

Beijer Electronics, Inc.
Ron Lloyd | Applications Engineer